Saturday, February 21, 2015

A Melbourne Night to Remember : White Night 2015




Hello guys, just want to tell you about the stress reliever event that I have gone to last night (Feb 21, 2015) the White Night 2015. I was about to visit my family in Warrnambool but something happened to my best friend (Faulky, my travel buddy / car) so I was really disappointed and I thought oh well that's it for my weekend. Then I remembered a friend told me about this event. I'm like ok... let's give it a try. I have heard of it before and some say it is like Viva Sydney. So I told myself why not, the trains are there anyway.

So I used the trains (haven't used public transpo for awhile), went down at Flinders St. and met my friend there. At the station, I did a bit of research on the night ahead. There are a lot of people giving out maps so visitors will know where to go. I was not fortunate enough to get one early in the night so we were just clueless where the interesting spots are. Anyway, here is the map of White Night

Map of White Night Events and Shows
According to the official website of White Night, the event starts at 7pm till 7am the next day. There are 11 major sites that the city council had highlighted and these can be seen in the map above. Looking at how big the scope of the city is you can actually see the whole thing in 12 hours but you would not be able to fully appreciate it if you jumped from one place to another. So we just chose a few places to go to.

Since I was already at Flinders St., while waiting for my friend to arrive, I roamed around and took some photos in the area.

I call it the Octopus building
Flinders St Station and the crowd gathering for White Night

Street lights at South Yarra Bridge

Federation Square

Alice in Wonderland Publication celebrates its 150th Anniversary that is why it was chosen as a theme for the Wonderland projections. The Wonderland projections are located at Flinders St. Here are a few photos to show you.

In front of Fed Square at Flinder Street

Another view of the Projection



An animated light show with sounds were projected at Flinders St. Station. This is the video clip of the show. It features the story of Alice in Wonderland and runs for 2 mins and 43 seconds.



After staying in Flinders St., we went to Birrarung Marr and explored the area. We found the Lotus flowers floating on the water and took photos of them. Along the river, there are also different performances that is made through a floating stage. The stage actually goes in the middle of the river and people around the area on both sides of the riverbank will have a clear view since the performance is done in the middle. Here are some shots




While we were fascinated with these blooms, there were suddenly fireworks on the other side. I was very fortunate to get quick shots of the fireworks. Lovely indeed.

Fireworks shot at Birrarung Mar

Another view of Birarrung Marr during the fireworks display


After staying here, we decided to go to the upper terrace and have a look at what it has to offer. On the way we bumped into a few interesting characters.

Playing aboriginal and samba music at Birrarung Marr

Security on horseback in case something happens they can go there fast (LOL)

Beat it with the DJ, the Beatbox corner
When we reached the upper terrace we found the Cricket World Cup Zone and the thing they call "The Crucible". It's a dragon sculpture and the other one looks like People holding lanterns??? I dunno how to describe it. Both sculptures blows out fire.

Street lights with signs of the Cricket World Cup
The Cricket Fan Zone
Mr. Dragon letting out his fire
Now he is asleep

Let's call it Jack O Lantern


Whoahh it's alive

Then we went straight to Swanston St to check out what is the display in the State Library. This is what we saw there. A falling water feature where you can stick the leaves on pretty awesome ha ha ha.
People sticking the leaves on the water feature

A friend of mine doing something about it :P

At the library, it displays a static image on the right and rolling images on the left, I will demonstrate in the video for a better way to look at it. The theme is Alice in Wonderland still.



The Athenaeum near the city library :)





Moving on, went straight to Melbourne Museum and I think this is the best one, there is the projection of the 4 elements. Here is what it looks like in photo.

Water element shown

Earth Element

Fire Element

After earth standing still

Now if you like the photos, watch this awesome display :)



The only thing I regret the most is we should have gone on the other side of the river but we thought there wasn't much there. What's on the other side is Alexandra Gardens, Queen Victoria Gardens and Southbank. You see I haven't gotten a map till 12midnight and by then I was exhausted already from walking because there are no trams or buses around. Funny thing is if I continued on from Melbourne Museum going down to Exhibition St I would have seen the Northern Lights, Big Chill, Rivers of Gold and Tears Before Dawn Exhibits then if I went on the other side would have seen the whole thing but I am so exhausted already. My legs are telling me to go home and it was already 1:30 am. My companion went home a bit early so it is a bit scary to go on my own even though there are security people there. Besides public transport could be a bit dangerous because it is already dawn.

I wish they make it 2 nights next time so people can have the leisure to look at the whole area. It is very exhausting if you try to cover everything in one night. So, from this exhibits I think I will be going again next year without a doubt.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE ALL THE PHOTOS CLICK ON THIS LINK: WHITE NIGHT 2015


Hope you enjoyed this article. See you in White Night 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment